The Best Way to Organize Your Receipts in 2019
I’ve noticed that many people struggle with keeping their paper organized, especially their receipts. When you are disorganized with paper, you are simply wasting your future time, money, and energy. How?
- Having to pay your accountant or bookkeeper more because they need to first organize it
- Having missing receipts and not being able to claim them for taxes
- Wasting your time looking for receipts/paper (your time = money) and
- By getting frustrated, annoyed, and disappointed in yourself (again) for saying you were going to get organized but didn’t and now the entire year is over and you have to get your sh*t in order for tax time!
As a business owner, I realized how important it is to be organized! So, I created this system in 2018 and I found it to be very helpful which is why I decided to share it with you!
Here is how to do it!
Step #1. Print out ALL the pages at once
Step #2. Fold them each in half
Step #3. Put two staples on each side of the folded paper to create a pouch (one at the top and one at the bottom)
Step #4. You will place them in a box big enough to hold these papers with enough room for them to be filled with receipts (I use the one shown below- from IKEA)
Step #5. Grab a bucket to put “Current month receipts” in (bucket also bought from IKEA!)
- During the month I put all my receipts in a container labelled “current month receipts”.
- At then at the end of each month, I empty that container. I cross reference my receipts with my bookkeeping software (aka an excel spreadsheet) and once they are marked as submitted, I file them away in that month’s pocket.
- Tip: To show they are marked as “submitted”, I simply put a line of highlighter across the receipt. This saves me time not having to second guess myself!
Want the system for yourself?
I created the system for you to be able to print it out and incorporate into your own home! Simply click here to get it!